NONCONVENTIONAL MANUFACTURING WORK PREPARATION FOR WIRE EDM MACHINING
This paper present the manufacturing work preparation process for wired EDM machining used to produce an extrusion die based on the digital engineering data. This digital data contain product and process characteristic. We call this process as nonconventional because all geometrical and process characteristics, as designed are directly transferred to the EDM passing the conventional manufacturing work preparation process as, manufacturing drawing preparation, EDM program preparation using the manufacturing drawings, which can affect the quality of converted information.
This process approach becomes more and more used in manufacturing because the customer wants a high-quality product in a short time. By eliminate some process steps, from the manufacturing preparation process, and transfer product requirement direct to the EDM machine assure a shorter lead-time and reduce additional risks in manufacturing.
2. Soo, S.L., Antar, M.T., Aspinwall, D.K., Sage, C., Cuttell, M., Perez, R., Winn, A.J., The effect of wire electrical discharge machining on the fatigue life of Ti-6Al-2Sn-4Zr-6Mo aerospace alloy, The Seventeenth CIRP Conference on Electro Physical and Chemical Machining (ISEM), Procedia CIRP 6 215 – 219, (2013).
3. Curtis, D.T., Soo, S.L., Aspinwall, D.K., Huber, C., Fuhlendorf, J., Grimm, A., “Production of the complex blade mounting slots in turbine disks using novel machining techniques,” Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on High-Performance Cutting- CIRP HPC. Dublin, Ireland, p. 219 – 228, (2008).
4. Aspinwall, D.K., Soo, S.L., Berrisford, A.E., Walder, G., Workpiece surface roughness and integrity after WEDM of Ti- 6Al-4V and Inconel 718 using minimum damage generator technology, Annals of CIRP 57/1, p. 187 (2008).
5. Curtis, D.T., Soo, S.L., Aspinwall, D.K., Sage, C., Electrochemical superabrasive machining of a nickel-based aeroengine alloy using mounted grinding points, Annals of CIRP 58/1, p. 173, (2009).
6. Kanlayasiri, K., Jattakul, P., “Simultaneous optimization of dimensional accuracy and surface roughness for finishing cut of wire-EDMed K460 tool steel”, Precision Engineering, Article in Press, (2013).
7. Farnaz Nourbakhsh, K. P. Rajurkar, A. P., Malshe Jian Cao, “Wire electro-discharge machining of titanium alloy,” The First CIRP Conference on Biomanufacturing, Procedia CIRP, 5, 13 – 18, (2013).
8. Shandilya, P., Jain, P.K, Jain, N.K., “Parametric optimization during wire electrical discharge machining using response surface methodology,” Procedia Engineering, 38, 2371–2377, (2012).
9. Bobbili, R., Madhu, V., Gogia, A.K. An experimental investigation of wire electrical discharge machining of hot-pressed boron carbide, Defence Technology 11 344e349, (2015).
11. *** https://www.fanuc.eu
12. *** https://www.microvu.com