EARLY-AGE CARBONATION OF CALCIUM SILICATE HYDRATE (C-S-H) AND ITS ABILITY FOR CO2 SEQUESTRATION IN CONCRETE
The research trend in the last years on early-age carbonation of calcium silicate hydrate, main component phase of Portland cement, in association with the process of permanent storage of CO2 in carbonates, reducing its emissions in the atmosphere, was the objective of ongoing work. Using sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) in the mixture of cementitious materials, partially replacing the cement (between 7-21 %), curing the fresh concrete was made in an early-age period. Very high value of compressive strength (43.1 MPa) was obtained very quickly being measured in the first stage of investigating the sample characteristics (after 8 hours), the reference sample reaching 30.8 MPa after 7 days and 43.3 MPa after 28 days.
2. Davidovits, J., Geopolymers, inorganic polymeric new materials, Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, Vol. 37, No. 8, pp. 1633-1656, (2008).
3. Abdul Aleem, M..I., Arumairaj, P.D., Geopolymer concrete-A review, International Journal of Engineering Sciences & Emerging Technologies, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 118-122, (2021), ISSN 2231-6604.
4. Stefaniuk, D., Hajduczek, M., Weaver, J.C., Ulm, F.J., Masic, A., Cementing CO2 into C-S-H: A step toward concrete carbon neutrality, PNAS Nexus, Vol. 2, No. 3, Xu, Y.J. (ed.), Oxford Academic, UK, March (2023).
5. Hegde, S.B., Reactivity of alite and belite towards sustainability of concrete, Concrete Construction, April-May (2022).
6. Zhang, D., Ghouleh, Z., Shao, Y., Review on carbonation curing of cement-based materials, Journal of CO2 Utilization, Vol. 21, pp. 119-131, Elsevier Publishing, (2017).
7. Loh, H.C., Kim, H.J., Ulm, F.J., Masic, A., Time-space-resolved chemical deconvolution of cementitious colloidal systems using Raman spectroscopy, Langmuir, Vol. 37, No. 23, pp. 7019-7031, ACS Publications, USA, (2021).
8. Wu, B., Ye, G., Carbonation mechanism of different kinds of C-S-H: Rate and products, International RILEM Conference on Materials, Systems and Structures in Civil Engineering Conference segment in Concrete with Supplementary Cementitious Materials, Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby, Denmark, pp. 263-272, August 22-24, (2016).
9. Liu, X., Feng, P., Cai, Y., Yu, X., Yu, C., Ran, Q., Carbonation behavior of calcium silicate hydrate (C-S-H): Its potential for CO2 capture, Chemical Engineering Journal, Vol. 431, Part 3, Elsevier Publishing, (2022). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2021.134243
10. Ashraf, W., Carbonation of cement-based materials: Challenges and opportunities, Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 120, pp. 558-570, Elsevier Publishing, (2016).
11. Zajac, H., Skocek, J., Haha, M.B., Deja, J., CO2 mineralization method in cement and concrete industry, Energies, Vol. 15, Pacheco Torgal, F. (ed.), (2022).
12. Ravikumar, D., Zhang, D., Keoleian, G., Miller, S., Sick, V., Li, V., Carbon dioxide utilization in concrete curing or mixing might not produce a net climate benefit, Nature Communications, Vol. 12, No. 855, (2021).
13. Xuan, D., Zhan, B., Poon C.S., Development of a new generation of eco-friendly concrete blocks by accelerated mineral carbonation, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 13, pp. 1235-1241, Elsevier Publishing, (2016).
14. Morandeau, A., Thiéry, M., Dangla, P., Investigation of the carbonation mechanism of CH and C-S-H in terms of kinetics, microstructure changes and moisture properties, Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 56, pp. 153-170, (2014).
15. Sharma, U., Khatri, A., Kanoungo, A., Use of micro-silica as additive to concrete-State of art, International Journal of Civil Engineering Research, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 9-12, (2014).
16. Metrology in Laboratory-Measurement of Mass and Derived Values, in: Radwag Balances and Scales, 2nd edition, Randon, Poland, pp. 72-73, (2015).
17. Kearsley, E.P., Wainwright, P.J., The effect of porosity on the strength of foamed concrete, Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 233-239, Elsevier Publishing, (2002).
18. Curtu, I., Stanciu, A.E., Determinarea caracteristicilor mecanice ale epruvetelor din material compozit de tip Mat&Roving, Buletinul AGIR, No. 1, pp. 76-81, (2011).
Copyright (c) 2023 Bogdan Valentin Paunescu, Eniko Volceanov, Lucian Paunescu
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.