STEEL SLAG-BASED CELLULAR CERAMIC WITH HIGH-STRENGTH AND EXTREMELY FINE POROSITY AS A BUILDING MATERIAL MADE BY NONCONVENTIONAL HEATING TECHNIQUE
Ceramic foam prepared from steel slag particles in colloidal suspension was stabilized with propyl gallate and after drying was sintered by direct electromagnetic wave radiation at successive thermal regimes within the limits of 980-1200 ºC. The microwave heat treatment is the originality of the work. The heating rate reached very high values of up to 40 ºC/min without affecting the microstructural configuration of the foam. The peculiarities of ceramic foam include reduced heat conductivity (in the range of 0.060-0.085 W·m-1·K-1), high compression resistance (about 9.8 MPa) and extremely low pore size (between 20-160 μm).
2. Yi, H., Xu, G., Cheng, H., Wang, J., An overview of utilization of steel slag, Procedia Environmental Sciences, Vol. 16, No. 6, pp. 791-801, (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proenv.2012.10.108
3. Teo, P.T., Seman, A.A., Basu, P., Shariff, N.M., Characterization of EAF steel slag waste: The potential green resource for ceramic tile production, 5th International Conference on Recent Advances in Materials, Minerals and Environment (RAMM) & 2nd International Postgraduate Conference on Materials, Mineral and Polymer (MAMIP), University Sains, Malaysia, August 4-6, 2015, Procedia Chemistry, Vol. 19, pp. 842-846, (2016).
4. Cioroi, M., Nistor-Cristea, L., Recycling possibilities of metallurgical slag, The Annals of “Dunarea de Jos” University of Galati, Fascicle IX: Metallurgy and Materials Science, Vol. 1, pp.78-82, (2007), ISSN 1453-083X.
5. Memon, M.K., Shuker, M.T., Elraies, K.A., Study of blended surfactants to generate stable foam in presence of crude oil for gas mobility control, Journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production Technology, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 77-85, (2017). https://doi.org/10.1007/s13202-016-0243-9
6. Khristov, K., Exerowa, D., Foam stabilizing properties of surfactants determined at constant and variable pressure in the foam liquid phase, Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology, Vol. 18, No. 6-7, pp. 561-575, (1997). https://doi.org/10.1080/01932699708943759
7. Petkova, B., Tcholakova, S., Chenkova, M., Golemanov, K., Denkov, N., Thorley, D., Stoianov, S., Foamability of aqueous solutions: Role of surfactant type and concentration, Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, Vol. 276, February (2020). https://doi.org/10.1016/j,cis.2019
8. Gonzenbach, U.T., Studart, A.R., Tervoort, E., Gauckler, L.J., Stabilization of foams with inorganic colloidal particles, Langmuir, Vol. 22, No. 26, pp. 10983 -10988, November (2006). https://doi.org/10.1021/la061825a
9. Propyl gallate, National Center for Biotechnological Information, (2016). https://www.pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Propyl-gallate
10. Reda, S.Y., Evaluation of antioxidants stability by thermal analysis and its protective effect in heated edible vegetable oil, Cléancia e Tecnologia de Alimentos, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 475-480, June (2011).
11. Gálico, D.A., Nova, C.V., Guerra, R.B., Bannach, G., Thermal and spectroscopic studies of the antioxidant food additive propyl gallate, Food Chemistry, March (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2015.02.129
12. Huo, W., Yan, S., Wu, J.M., Liu, J., Chen, Y., Qu, Y., Tang, X., Yang, J., A novel fabrication method for glass foams with small pore size and controllable pore structure, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, Vol. 100, No. 12, pp. 5502-5511, July (2017). https://doi.org/10.1111/jace.15089
13. Tang, F., Fudouzi, H., Uchikoshi, T., Sakka, Y., Preparation of porous materials with controlled pore size and porosity, Journal of the European Ceramic Society, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 341-344, (2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0955-2219(03)00223-1
14. Gonzenbach, U.T., Studart, A.R., Tervoort, E., Gauckler, L.J., Macroporous ceramics for particle-stabilized wet foams, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, Vol. 90, No. 1, pp. 16-22, (2007).
15. St. John’s pH adjustment, (2018). https://www.pH-adjustment.pdf
16. Zhang, Y., Luo, X., Yang, J., Huo, W., Kang, C., A novel approach to fabricate foam ceramics from steel slag, Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. 2020, March (2020). https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/4649082
17. Kaptay, G., Interfacial criteria for stabilization of liquid foams by solid particles, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, Vol. 230, No. 1-3, pp. 67-80, (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2003.09.016
18. Gibson, L.J., Ashby, M.F., Cellular Solids: Structure and Properties, Cambridge University Press, 2nd edition, Cambridge, UK, (1997).
19. Yalkowsky, S.M., He Y,, Jain, P., Handbook of Aqueous Solubility Data, 2nd edition, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton, USA, (2010).
20. Jones, D.A., Lelyveld, T.P., Mavrofidis, S.D., Kingman, S.W., Miles, N.J., Microwave heating applications in environmental engineering-A review, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, Vol. 34, No. 2, pp. 75-90, (2002). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-3449(01)00088-X
21. Kitchen, H.J., Vallance, S.R., Kennedy, J.L., Tapia-Ruiz, N., Carassiti, L., Modern microwave methods in solid-state inorganic materials chemistry: From fundamentals to manufacturing, Chemical Reviews, Vol. 114, No. 2, pp. 1170-1206, (2014). https://doi.org/10.1021/cr4002353
22. Final report on the amended safety assessment of propyl gallate, International Journal of Toxicology, Vol. 26, pp. 89-118, (2007), ISSN 1091-5818. https://doi.org/10.1080/10915810701663176
23. Manual of weighing applications, Part 1-Density, (1999). https:// www.docplayer.net/21731890-Manual-of-weighing-applications-part-1-density_html
24. Anovitz, L.M., Cole, D.R., Characterization and analysis of porosity and pore structures, Reviews in Mineralogy and Geochemistry, Vol. 80, No. 1, pp. 61-164, (2015). https://doi.org/10.2138/rmg.2015.80.04
Copyright (c) 2023 Lucian Paunescu, Sorin Mircea Axinte, Bogdan Valentin Paunescu
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.