DESIGN, ANALYSIS AND 3D PRINTING OF AN UNMANNED AIRCRAFT WITH UNCONVENTIONAL STRUCTURE
Additive manufacturing (AM), also known as 3D printing, is a manufacturing process that produces three-dimensional products with complex geometries and shapes by depositing material. In this paper the aim was to manufacture an aircraft with an unconventional structure using additive manufacturing processes. The first step was the design of the UAV structural solution, for which CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) and FEM (Finite Element Analysis) analyses were carried out in order to validate the model. The second step that is the actual manufacture of the aircraft, the thermoplastic filament extrusion manufacturing process was used to obtain the components of the UAV model. The application of the thermoplastic extrusion process improved the aerodynamic characteristics and the strength of the aircraft, which was demonstrated by ground testing of the aircraft.
2. Boukoberine, M. N., Zhou, Z., Benbouzid, M. A., Critical review on unmanned aerial vehicles power supply and energy management: Solutions, strategies, and prospects, Applied Energy, Vol. 255, (2019).
3. Hassanalian, M., Abdelkefi, A., Classifications, applications, and design challenges of drones: A review, Progress in Aerospace Sciences, Vol. 91, pp. 99-131, (2017).
4. Götten, F., Finger, D. F., Havermann, M., Braun, C., Marino, M., Bil, C., Full configuration drag estimation of short-to-medium range fixed-wing UAVs and its impact on initial sizing optimization, CEAS Aeronautical Journal, Vol 12, No. 3, pp. 589-603, (2021).
5. Skawiński, I., Goetzendorf-Grabowski, T. FDM 3D printing method utility assessment in small RC aircraft design, Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, Vol. 91, No.6, (2019).
6. Lancea, C., Chicos, L. A., Zaharia, S. M., Pop, M. A., Pascariu, I. S., Buican, G. R., Stamate, V. M. Simulation, Fabrication and Testing of UAV Composite Landing Gear, Applied Sciences, 12(17), (2022).
7. Kechagias, J., Chaidas, D., Vidakis, N., Salonitis, K., Vaxevanidis, N. M., Key parameters controlling surface quality and dimensional accuracy: A critical review of FFF process, Materials and Manufacturing Processes, Vol. 37, No. 9, pp. 963-984, (2022).
8. Anggraeni, D., Hidayat, D., Pramutadi, A. M., Rasyadi, A., Design and flight test of a medium range UAV for aerial photography, International Journal of Unmanned Systems Engineering., Vol. 3, No. 3, (2015).
Copyright (c) 2023 Dana Cojocaru, Sebastian Marian Zaharia
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.